The Breastfeeding Peer Counselor will provide information, counseling and support to WIC participants both prenatally and postpartum to assist them in their breastfeeding experience. The counselor will provide information consistent with the WIC program’s philosophy regardless of personal beliefs. The Peer Counselor assists women in getting the information, support and encouragement needed to exclusively breastfeed for the baby’s first year of life and beyond
Received: Peer counselor works under the direct supervision of the Breastfeeding Coordinator and under the general supervision of the WIC Director.
- Promote exclusive breastfeeding as the optimal feeding method for infants. The peer counselor will help to increase SNHS/RCA breastfeeding initiation and duration rates
- Work with pregnant women to discuss the participants’ choice of feeding method for the infant. The counselor will promote breastfeeding and help participant to discuss any barriers to breastfeeding the participant feels she may have
- The counselor will provide information to prenatal women interested in breastfeeding on the benefits of exclusively breastfeeding and will offer information and support to help sustain a successful breastfeeding experience
- The breastfeeding peer counselor will contact all postpartum women electing to breastfeed prior to and soon after delivery. Contacts will be made at the WIC office in person or by phone, to assist in initiating breastfeeding, to provide information and support, to encourage the continuance of successful breastfeeding and to respond to any breastfeeding concerns or problems
- The counselor will provide breastfeeding women education in the expression and storage of breast milk, including proper use and care of manual pumps.
- The counselor will follow WIC’s procedures and guidelines when issuing electric breast pumps. The counselor will explain proper use and care of the electric breast pump as well as perform and document monthly follow-ups with the participant
- The counselor will arrange follow-up contacts according to WIC’s policy for required contacts as well as additional contacts needed, providing it is agreeable to the WIC participant. The counselor will keep accurate records of all contacts
- The counselor will generate reports from the StarLinc system to utilize for making contacts of pregnant and breastfeeding moms
- The counselor will help breastfeeding mothers connect with local breastfeeding support services in the community
- The counselor may be asked to attend special conferences or in-services on breastfeeding to increase her knowledge and skills.
- The counselor will attend breastfeeding peer counselor meetings and monthly staff meetings.
- The counselor will refer participants presenting with concerns that extend beyond the counselor’s knowledge and skills to the WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator.
- The counselor will communicate to the WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator the needs of the Peer Counselor program, high risk clients that need further attention, the inventory of electric breast pumps, as well as any pertinent information relative to a successful Peer Counselor program
- The counselor will refer breastfeeding women seeking formula to the WIC nutrition staff for further assessment
- Respect participant confidentiality by keeping all information confidential
- The counselor will be reliable with attendance during clinics scheduled to work.
- Will maintain professional boundaries with all current, past, and prospective clients, and maintain the confidentiality of clients and staff, in accordance with SNHS policy and procedure.
- Abide by all SNHS Safety policies and procedures.
- Present professional and positive image as a representative of SNHS.
- Responsible for having adequate knowledge of all SNHS programs and will gather sufficient intake information to make referrals to other SNHS programs which are beneficial to the client and his/her family.
- Perform other related duties as required.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Has the ability to listen and avoid judgment and is sensitive to the cultural diversity of WIC participants and accepts other lifestyles.
- • Ability to work as part of a team.
- • Valid New Hampshire driver’s license, current adequate car insurance, and a reliable vehicle. JOB TITLE: Breastfeeding Peer Counselor
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Peer counselor is or was a breastfeeding mother of a baby for ideally 4-6 months or longer.
- Currently a WIC participant or previous WIC participant preferred.
- Has knowledge in breastfeeding benefits and basic breastfeeding practices.
- Spanish speaking preferred, but not required.
"Southern NH Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer"