Manchester Adult Learner Services
Manchester Adult Learner Services provides free, confidential, one-to-one instruction in basic reading, writing, mathematics, High School Equivalency Test (HiSET®) preparation, and English as a Second Language.
The program pairs volunteer tutors with adult learners who can benefit from one-to-one help. Volunteers receive training, materials and ongoing support as they work in partnership with their students.
Tutoring services are FREE.
We have online tutors available. Students will need to have access to a computer and the internet.
How can a tutor help you?
- Learn to READ
- Do MATH
- Learn the ENGLISH LANGUAGE
- WRITE better
- Study for the High School
Equivalency Test (HiSET®)
- Resume writing and interview practice
- U.S. Citizenship
- Basic Computer Skills
- Driver’s License (written test only)
- And much, much more
If what you are interested in is not listed above, please contact us. We may still be able to help you.
How does the program work?
- Meet our tutor coordinator to discuss your goals
- Take a test so that you can start in the right place
- Agree to meet with your tutor at least once per week
- Later on, take another test to show the progress that you have made
Here is a chance to help another person work towards one of life’s greatest treasures–an EDUCATION.
Volunteer tutors need no previous teaching experience. Training, materials and support are provided.
What is required?
- Attend a pre-service training workshop
- Commit to working with your students for at least three months
- Meet with your student for two to four hours per week
- Keep in touch with the Adult Learner Services coordinator
- “My tutor is so nice, and is helping me learn to read.”
- “I need help with writing. My tutor is helping me become a better writer, so that I can apply for and keep a job.”
- “I have an attention problem, so working with a tutor helps me concentrate.”
- “I love to help learners learn.”
- “There is so much joy watching someone learn a new skill.”
Manchester Adult Learner Services Program
First Congregational Church
508 Union Street, Manchester, NH 03104
(Entrance located at the back of the church)
For More Information:
Call or text: (603) 486-5204
Funding for this program is provided by the
NH Bureau of Adult Education / English for New Americans