Manchester Adult Learner Services
Manchester Adult Learner Services provides free, confidential, one-to-one instruction in basic reading, writing, mathematics, High School Equivalency Test (HiSET®) preparation, and English as a Second Language.
The program pairs volunteer tutors with adult learners who can benefit from one-to-one help. Volunteers receive training, materials and ongoing support as they work in partnership with their students.
Tutoring services are FREE.
How can a tutor help you?
- Learn to READ
- Do MATH
- Learn the ENGLISH LANGUAGE
- WRITE better
- Study for the High School
Equivalency Test (HiSET®)
- Resume writing and interview practice
- U.S. Citizenship
- Basic Computer Skills
- Driver’s License (written test only)
- And much, much more
If what you are interested in is not listed above, please contact us. We may still be able to help you.
How does the program work?
- Meet our tutor coordinator to discuss your goals
- Take a test so that you can start in the right place
- Agree to meet with your tutor at least once per week
- Later on, take another test to show the progress that you have made
Here is a chance to help another person work towards one of life’s greatest treasures–an EDUCATION.
Volunteer tutors need no previous teaching experience. Training, materials and support are provided.
What is required?
- Attend a pre-service training workshop
- Commit to working with your students for at least three months
- Meet with your student for two to four hours per week
- Keep in touch with the Adult Learner Services coordinator
- “My tutor is so nice, and is helping me learn to read.”
- “I need help with writing. My tutor is helping me become a better writer, so that I can apply for and keep a job.”
- “I have an attention problem, so working with a tutor helps me concentrate.”
- “I love to help learners learn.”
- “There is so much joy watching someone learn a new skill.”
Manchester Adult Learner Services Program
First Congregational Church
508 Union Street, Manchester, NH 03104
(Entrance located at the back of the church)
For More Information:
Call or text: (603) 486-5204
Funding for this program is provided by the
NH Bureau of Adult Education / English for New Americans