Provides direct client services for SNHS Programs. The Intake Specialist is responsible for involving eligible clients in appropriate SNHS programs, establishing and maintaining community participation groups for advocating the needs of the poor, representing SNHS with local community and other social service agencies and interested groups, maintaining a system of information and referral, and the coordination of office functions.
Received: Works under the direct supervision of the Site Supervisor, and general supervision of the Energy/Crisis Coordinator and Energy Director
Exercised: The incumbent gives no supervision to others.
- Provides direct client services, to include the following as appropriate: energy assistance, emergency food pantries, homeless prevention and intervention, personal emergency response systems, surplus food distribution, and other community services.
- Interviews applicants for all emergency crisis and energy programs and completes applications providing all necessary verification forms and program information.
- Maintains and updates client records for all Outreach Center services.
- As directed learn to use the FAP/EAP and Outreach I software proficiently.
- Meet members of the general public, greet them cordially and give them general information about the programs.
- Check each application submitted by the general public to you, either by mail or in person, for completeness and proper documentation.
- Recommend and take applications for supplemental programs without bias; utilizing the agency referral checklist.
- Maintain a daily log of all personal contacts in the course of taking an application and reporting it to the Outreach Center Site Supervisor.
- Work at a steady pace that results in seeing an average of 14 new applicants per day.
- Return all client phone calls in a timely fashion.
- Assist home bound clients in completing applications when assigned.
- Perform outreach duties as needed, either by phone or in the field.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time, and lift/carry/move heavy items.
- Be available to cover other Outreach Center offices in Hillsborough or Rockingham Counties as needed.
- Be available for occasional evening or weekend hours during heavy workload periods as needed to ensure program compliance.
- Assist with answering calls or returning messages during heavy call volume times or when receptionist is not available.
- Must have the ability to work as part of the Outreach Center team, keep cordial relations with co-workers and have the ability to adjust to changing procedures.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and be able to travel when needed.
- Will maintain professional boundaries with all current, past, and prospective clients, and maintain the confidentiality of clients and staff, in accordance with SNHS policy and procedure.
- Abide by all SNHS Safety policies and procedures.
- Present professional and positive image as a representative of SNHS.
- Responsible for having adequate knowledge of all SNHS programs and will gather sufficient intake information to make referrals to other SNHS programs which are beneficial to the client and his/her family.
- Perform other related duties as required.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- The incumbent must have the ability to work with clients and co-workers in a professional, confidential and respectful manner.
- Incumbent must possess very good verbal and written communication, math, data entry and interviewing skills.
- Proficiency with computers and basic programs required.
- Must have the ability to work as part of the Community Action Center team, keep cordial relations with co-workers and have the ability to adjust to changing procedures. Ability to stand for extended periods of time, and lift/carry/move heavy items.
- Possess the ability to work efficiently and rapidly under heavy pressure.
- Be physically able to sit at a computer for the extent of the work day.
- Reliable transportation is necessary.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- High School diploma or GED and 6 months of experience with social /community services or related field.
- Degree in related field may substitute for 1 year of experience.
- Experience working with the general public, particularly the elderly, disabled and low income population.
Southern New Hampshire Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer