The successful candidate will work closely as a support with the Balance of State Continuum of Care Regional Access Point (RAC) working with those individuals and families experiencing homelessness and/or at risk of homelessness with the end goal of finding permanent housing. As the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Coordinator the successful candidate will also be responsible for overseeing the successful operation of the SNHS free tax preparation program focusing on those tax payers eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).
The incumbent of this position is responsible for providing focus on building capacity for Southern New Hampshire Services/Rockingham Community Action’s Financial Capability programs to include acting as the VITA program Coordinator for both Rockingham and Strafford Counties and as support for the Balance of State Continuum of Care lead. The position offers the opportunity to gain a broad range of professional skills including program oversight, training and presentation, case management and a chance to effect positive change in the financial lives of individuals and families with low incomes.
Received: Works under the direct supervision of the Communications Director and general supervision of the Deputy Director.
- Takes on Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program lead role, works with IRS SPEC partner and funding source to provide the free income tax preparation program from October through the program’s wrap up
- Completes and passes Basic and Advanced Tax Law Training and any other appropriate VITA focused trainings
- Maintains relationships with local colleges and organizations to facilitate sourcing volunteers annually and to include specifically the partnership with UNH Accounting Department
- Work to promote, increase awareness of, and enroll participants into, SNHS’ Financial Wellness programs to include the Your Money in Action, VITA or the general Individual Financial Plan (IFP) through outreach efforts to local community partners, employers and other financial institutions
- Keep accurate and accessible records of clients and clients’ progress to include monitoring client training hours, goal benchmarks, data tracking and referral sources as outlined through the Financial Wellness grant
- Create marketing strategies that will focus on capturing the target audience and draw in potential business partners
- Work with Balance of State Continuum of Care case manager lead in assisting clients in finding supports that will ensure success in meeting permanent housing goals
- Completes and submits monthly reports to Supervisor and as requested for VITA funding source to include a final report due at end of fiscal year
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and be able to travel when needed.
- Will maintain professional boundaries with all current, past, and prospective clients, and maintain the confidentiality of clients and staff, in accordance with SNHS policy and procedure.
- Abide by all SNHS Safety policies and procedures.
- Present professional and positive image as a representative of SNHS.
- Responsible for having adequate knowledge of all SNHS programs and will gather sufficient intake information to make referrals to other SNHS programs which are beneficial to the client and his/her family.
- Perform other related duties as required.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Basic knowledge of basic financial principles and practices
- Basic tax knowledge as well as familiarity with tax law as it pertains to low and moderate income individuals
- Knowledge of asset building strategies as it relates to individuals and families with low incomes
- Proficiency using online software products as well as MS Word, Excel
- Ability to prioritize and coordinate multiple tasks and assignments
- Ability to work independently and resolve problems within established framework
- Strong interpersonal and management skills and ability to work with others
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Must be able to speak effectively in front of groups
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Professional or volunteer experience with tax preparation and basic financial principles and practices
- Experience with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program
- Experience working with individuals with low incomes, financial goal setting and one on one coaching
Southern New Hampshire Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer