Senior Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program
Get Fresh, Eat More
The Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program (SFMNP) will be provided in July and August of 2011 to senior participants enrolled in the Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP). Seniors will receive a bundle of fresh fruits and vegetables valued at $18. The bundles will contain at least four different items that will have a combined value of $18. These items are locally grown from farmers authorized to participate in the program. The program supports local New Hampshire farmers.
The program provides nutrition education, information on food preparation and encouragement to participants to improve and expand their diets by adding fresh fruits and vegetables.
Links to some helpful information about Fruits and Vegetables:
- 30 Ways in 30 Days to Stretch Your Fruit and Vegetable Diet
- Eat More Fruits and Veggies
- How Many Fruits and Veggies Do You Need?
- Your Questions Answered: Get the answers to commonly asked questions about preparing and storing fruits and vegetables
- Fruit & Vegetable Buying Guide
Tips for Home
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables within 1-3 days of buying.
- Refrigerate to keep fresh longer
- One pound of produce makes 3-4 servings